You are getting sleeeeeeeepy!

So the skirt I mentioned last post is complete! I used quilt-weight cotton (or so they told me it was at JoAnn’s Fabrics). This is the fabric for the outer bit:

20110728-014617.jpg

And this fabric for the lining:

20110728-014633.jpg

Seriously, my eyes swim if I stare at that print too long, but it’s super fun and I can’t wait to hypnotize other people wear it around! It doesn’t look too crazy from a distance, but watch out up close!

20110728-014710.jpg

I used a free pattern from Anna Maria Horner’s blog (find it here) for the skirt, which is basically two long rectangles sewn together, then sewn to lining, then hemmed. Then you sew 4 channels for skinny elastic (hello waistband!) and thread elastic thru the channels with safety pins. Worst 2 hours of my life. I kid you not, it took FOREVER to thread all that elastic thru! And my thumbs are sore today thanks to it!

I can’t decide if I love this skirt to bits or just mildly like it–right now I oscillate between the two extremes. (Maybe when the traumatic elastic threading memories die away I’ll settle on a sentiment?) It was very easy to make (assuming you can sew straight lines over and over and over again). Even the lining attachment process was less onerous than I was afraid it would be (though ironing the seams flat was key, I think!). I do think there’s waaaaay too much fabric here though–it’s a VERY full skirt, and if I don’t smooth down the sides, it has a tendency to puff out and make me very wide!  (See what I mean!)

20110728-025233.jpg

Also, the pattern called for more elastic in the waistband than I ended up using…when I first tried it on (before sewing the elastic down–so glad I thought to try it on first!) it barely stayed up at my hips and was impossible to wear at the waist. So I lopped a good 6 inches of elastic off and it sits quite nicely at either my hips or my waist now.

OK, so overall, I think I do love it, but it might be relegated to being a weekend skirt thanks to all the uber puffiness (OK, that, and it ended up being about 3 inches shorter than I meant it to be thanks to some guesswork when I was buying fabric…turns out I should measure, THEN buy yardage–who’d have guesed!).

I also bought fabric enough to make a second of these skirts, but I think I’ll hunt around for a different pattern (maybe try my hand at an A-line?) instead, so stay tuned!


Operation Craftypants!

I’ve decided to get crafty again!  I’ve decided that my life as a corporate drone lacks color! inspiration! vibrancy! bon vivant-cy!…mostly, I’ve simultaneously realized that my job requires zero creativity (and doesn’t really encourage it, either) and that I’ve gotten away from crafty projects, making things myself, and generally expressing my creative side.  I miss popsicle sticks and thimbles and crocheting and random rainy crafty afternoons!  I’ve tried making time to do more creative stuff in my spare time, but it only lasts for a couple weeks before I slip back into my usual routine, so I’m starting blog to challenge myself to do at least one “creative” project every week.  I don’t care if it’s a craft or seeing an event or coming up with a really stellar creative meal…something creative shall happen every week!!  And then, of course, since this is a blog I shall post about it!  Genius, I know!  This blog is mostly just a way for me to keep track of what I’ve tackled and accomplished and failed miserably at…I think it’ll be fun to look back at as I go!

I decided recently to pick up sewing again, so I took a sewing essentials refresher class last week that went swimmingly (and I am now the proud producer of a smashingly cute pillow case).

This has, of course, inspired me to tackle a few new sewing projects, so last night I made a foray to the JoAnn’s on the northside (which, let me tell you, is a pain in rush hour traffic!) and nabbed some cute fabric for a skirt.  When I was at the sewing shop for my class last week, I found a free pattern for a simple elastic waist skirt.  As I was cutting the skirt out, though, I discovered that assuming that 2 yards of fabric would be enough was a bit stupid…after digging out the tape measure and actually measuring, I realized that I really needed more like 2.5 yards…oops!

I think I’ve saved the day by shortening the skirt so I could cut the longer piece out of just half the width of the fabric, and then use some of the leftover lining scraps to make a panel around the bottom to bring the skirt back to knee-length proportions.  Of course, I have yet to actually sew it (it’s all pinned and ready!) so more to come on that.  Lesson learned: measure first, then buy fabric!