I find myself wishing, on a fairly regular basis when I’m on a sewing kick, that when I took geometry in high school, someone would have said “you know, kids, someday these skills you are honing will come in very handy, so pay attention you young slackers!” Oh, wait, I’m pretty sure they did say that. Oops. Well, now I find I wish my geometry skills were a bit more polished than they are, especially since I seem to be doing a lot of grading up these days! Not that this is terribly germane to the rest of the post, it’s just something that rambles around in my head when I’m sewing…
I made the
mistake fabulous decision to visit my local fabric shop on payday and came home with a 2-1/2 yards each of this really spiffy fabric from the shiny new Tula Pink inventory!!
I cannot pick a favorite, and I barely have plans for all of it (dangerous business, this buying fabric without concrete plans for use…that’s the stuff stashes are made of, I fear!). But I do have plans for the stormy blue swoopy swallow fabric!! It is soon to be the Sewaholic Crescent Skirt, in fact!
I decided to add about 8 inches to the skirt. I found an excellent tutorial that Patty has whipped up over at the Snug Bug and basically followed it to a tee (and I agree, you probably don’t need to grade up the skirt, just gather less…but I did it anyway because, you know, if I can complicate life somehow, why not?!). The folks over at Sewaholic also have a super helpful series of sew-along posts for this pattern! I have learned so much just reading through those (like french seams for pockets…I’ve looked at the diagrams for french seams in my ancient reader’s digest sewing book and always come away very daunted and a bit confused, so I’ve never done french seams…but the sew-along post makes them super clear and they really don’t look that hard!) Unfortunately, I had already sewn my seams when I found the bits about french seams, but I foresee them in my future…a lot…because I really hate the look of raw edges inside a garment…even if they’re supposedly “finished” with a zigzag. And I’m too lazy/cheap to finish them all with bias tape binding. But next time, Gadget…french seams!!
Progress on the skirt has been a bit slow since I started it at the end of the weekend and have worked on it in bits and pieces on weeknight evenings (always following the “no sewing after 10pm” rule!). So here are some progress pics! I’ve got the skirt sewn together except for the back seam, and the waistband is attached to the skirt. Next up is the zipper and the waistband facing! I’m a little nervous about the zipper (I have yet to install one I really love, but if this one turns out as promised, it’ll be great. And if not, I suppose I can handsew it in place instead).